HOW YOU CAN BUY A SHARE IN THE FUTURE OF A 4-H OR A FFA MEMBER
There are over 570 4-H and FFA boys and girls in Colusa County. Every summer at the Colusa County Fair, a Junior Livestock Auction is held where many 4-H and FFA boys and girls enter the animals they have raised to be auctioned off to the highest bidder.
Your purchase will help to support these educational programs. These boys and girls are learning to produce food for your table. They are also learning to be in business for themselves. But their business is on a small scale and their costs are higher than commercial producers. Help them achieve success by bidding a few cents per pound over wholesale.
All animals selected for sale must be judged market ready and have received a purple or blue ribbon.
2 WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
- Do your own bidding, if you wish, or place an order to buy by phone or mail, and the Livestock Sales Committee will make all arrangements for slaughter and delivery to your local locker for cutting, wrapping and freezing.
- You can buy an animal at ringside for whatever price you wish–and resell it at market price to a wholesale marketing company. (The market price for each type of livestock will be announced before the sale starts.) You then pay only the difference, and you are listed as the buyer.
HERE IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU BUY
Due to the variance in animals and kind of trim and cut desired, the following are examples only:
|Live Weight||Bid||Cost||Processing Charge (Slaughter, cutting, wrapping, freezing, etc.)||Total Cost||Packaged meat delivered to your freezer|
|Steer||1,000lbs.||$2.00||$2,000.00||$603.00||$2603.00||approximately 450 to 500 lbs.|
|If you elect to resell the steer, the wholesale market price is $1.25 per pound, and the total cost to you would be $1250.00|
|Lamb||150lbs.||$7.00||$1050.00||$125.00||$1175.00||approximately 50 lbs.|
|If you elect to resell the lamb, the wholesale market price is $1.37 per pound, and the total cost to you would be $844.00|
|Hog||250lbs.||$4.00||$1000.00||$172.00||$1172.00||approximately 120 lbs.|
|If you elect to resell the hog, the wholesale market price is 82 cents per pound, and the total cost to you would be $795.00|
COOPERATION OFFERED BUYERS
- Every buyer will receive a picture of the 4-H or FFA member with his animal mounted on a poster acknowledging the buyer's support.
- Following the sale, each buyer (purchasing an individual animal) will be recognized for his support of the Junior Livestock Auction by having his name or firm listed in an ad placed in the newspaper in the area.
- A complete list of buyers will be included in next year's sale brochure.
- In appreciation of this support, we would like to honor our buyers with a special luncheon that will be held the day of the Auction, June 11th at 12:00 p.m. These passes are provided for you and paid for by ADM Rice.
THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO USE AN ANIMAL– HERE ARE A FEW IDEAS:
Put it in your freezer or food locker. Have top quality meat for your table the year round. If a whole animal is too much, split it with one or more friends.
FOR SERVICE CLUBS, LODGES . . . Put on a club barbecue. Donate the meat to a children's hospital or boys' home. Auction off the packaged meat to members and boost club treasury.
FOR BUSINESS CONCERNS . . . Present packaged meat to your best customers, or use it in a promotional campaign. Put on a barbecue for employees. Auction off packaged meat for an employee's fund.
FOR RESTAURANTS AND MARKETS . . . Advertise and serve local quality meat. Use a blue ribbon in your menu or display.
FOR QUALIFIED CHARITY . . . Donate all or part of carcass to favorite charity and deduct from your income tax.
SALE ORDER FOR 2016 WILL BE AS FOLLOWS: Hogs, Beef, Goat, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbit– CHAMPIONS SOLD AT 2 P.M .
AG MECHANICS AUCTION 1:00 P.M.
PARTICIPATE IN A BUYER GROUP
ARBUCKLE BUYER’S GROUP Annelie Lauwerijssen 300-4501
COLUSA BUYER’S GROUP Heather Thomas 458-2156, ext. 14534
MAXWELL BUYER’S GROUP Dawn Lee 682-8744
PRINCETON BUYER’S GROUP Cathy Withrow 518-2290
STONYFORD BUYER’S GROUP David Brandenburger 963-3287
WILLIAMS 4-H BUYER’S GROUP Kristy Ward 916-849-6194
WILLIAMS FFA BUYER’S GROUP Brian Parker 681-8915